Saturday 16 February 2013

Wardrobe Wish-List -- Part One

I figured that like any long-term endeavor overhauling my wardrobe would need a plan. Ok, so I might make a lots of lists and plans, but I don't think it's a bad thing to be organized.  Since I'll likely referencing my plan quite a bit, it seemed like the best way to start sharing my vintage bombshell journey. 

Now, I used to make Dream Wardrobes back in high school with a friend of mine.  It consisted primarily of going through stores and picking out absolutely everything that I liked.  It didn't matter if it looked good on me, if it would go with anything else, or if it was outrageously expensive.  At the time, the idea was more about having every pretty article of clothing at our fingertips.  Since I'm actually planning to acquire this wardrobe, I was a little bit more selective.

I knew some of the staples I wanted, big circle skirts, petticoats, seamed stockings, and for the rest of the list a took some inspiration from Betty and Penny.  The first is a run down of the Top Ten Staples for her wardrobe, with some interesting tips and the second is a Top Twelve or a Capsule Wardrobe.  There was a little bit of overlap, but not as much as I expected.  I came back with a mix of the two, taking my favorites from each, and a few items of my own.

The easiest list to make was the dresses I wanted.  That is, until I got down to picking out the ones I wanted.  Then I kept running across all sorts of beautiful dresses and I ran the serious risk of this becming a high school Dream Wardrobe.  Eventually, I narrowed it down to four, with the obvious understanding that it won't stay at four. 

The top left is my Swing Dress.  I've picked the Heidi from Pinup Girl Clothing.  It looks gorgeous and I think I'll be able to dress it up or down.  I'm also betting I can wear it in the summer like that or with a sweater in the winter.

(I promise my picture-editing will get better as we go)
Item number two is a Wiggle Dress.  It's the Red & White Polka Dot Wiggle Dress from Lady V London.  Now, I had a lot of trouble picking a wiggle dress.  I absolutely love the silhouette.  That being said, I have sometimes had trouble with that silhouette on me.  But I'm determined, and I think with some shapewear, which I haven't really dabbled in, I'll be rocking the wiggle dress.

Next is the Shirtwaist Dress.  I've picked an H&R London 50s Swing Dress from JBR Clothing to put on the wishlist.  That being said, I got some fabric for Christmas that I think would make a fabulous shirtwaist dress.  So, I'm likely going to be making my own version.  More on that later, I'll be sure to keep you updated.

Last is my Little Black Dress, because my wardrobe couldn't be complete without one.  This is the Dames Dress also from Pinup Girl Clothing.  It's another wiggle dress, but that gives the wardrobe some nice balance, two and two.  And I really love the way they look.

I fear that this is becoming unwieldy in length.  I shall leave it at this, for now.  On Monday I'll add the skirts I've been eying and hopefully the rest of the wishlist as well. Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment