Wednesday, 20 February 2013
One of the things that I wanted for my wardrobe was a Beret. Now, they're super simple to make, so that's exactly what I did. I don't have the pictures yet (apparently I haven't used my camera since I moved, and my phone doesn't take nice pictures.) but I promise to come back and add them in.
The patter I used is here but you can just as easily make your own. It's a top and a donut, really. I sewed the two pieces together and then added an edging of grossgrain ribbon. Unfortunately, doing things in this order means that I had to sew the ribbon by hand. So, next time I do this, I'm going to sew the ribbon first, which means I can do it with the machine.
There are two adjustments I made, one I regret a little bit, and another that I'll do more of next time. First, I made it a little smaller. According to the size chart on the pattern I'm an extra small, and if you've looked at the pattern you know that's not a size. So I shrank it, but then I shrank it more, down to 7.5" across. I liked the theory, and I thought it fit my head a little better. But, now that it's finished I'm not sure. Next time, I'm going to try the size small.
The other thing I did, was add little bobby pin loops. It's just two very tiny button holes right beside each other, and you can slide your bobby pin in one and out the other before pinning the hat to your hair. I've got two on my hat right now, but I'm planning to add two more to hold the hat on a little better.
Let me know if you guys have any good sew tips for this project or any good project ideas!