Wednesday 8 January 2014

Catch-Up

December was a pretty frantic month.  The most exciting thing happened right at the end of the year, when my boyfriend proposed at the stroke of midnight on New Years.  This was definitely my best new years ever, and the most amazing way to start 2014.

A few days before that we moved into Ottawa proper, which has also been wonderful.  I've only been here a few days, but it is so nice to be back in a city again.  We're able to take public transit anywhere, which is a big change from the small town.

So far, its been a fabulous year.  And I think there's plenty more to come that'll make 2014 a year to remember.

2014 will also be a year of sewing.  I've decided to attempt a Half Marathon of the Historical Sew Fortnightly hosted by The Dreamstress.  I've decided to complete even number challenges, meaning I'll be starting with Challenge #2:  Innovations. The only sight alteration I'm making to the rules is the definition of 'Historical'.  I want to make sure that my projects won't be closet ornaments.  The official rules state that Historical runs until the end of WWII (1945), however, I'm going to extend the time period until the end of the 1950s, as it is the 40s-50s that I am interested in.

The first four challenges have been published so far, and so here is a run down of what I'm thinking of making for each.  Of course as I get to work there will be at least a reveal post for each one.

Challenge Number 2: Innovations:

According to their website, In 1948 Butterick began to produce printed patterns in 1948.  Not too long after that (ok, almost a decade is a bit of a stretch, but stick with me) in 1956 Butterick 5605.  And that will be my first project for a dinner with my fiancee's new work.

Challenge Number 4: Under It All:

A challenge devoted to under-things.  I'd already decided to try and make the Bullet Bra from VaVoom Vintage, and now I have the perfect opportunity.

Challenge Number 6: Fairy Tale:

I don't think it will really come as a surprise, if you've been following for any length of time now, but I'm going to make Little Red Ridinghood's cape.  The cape pattern I've mentioned a few times here was among the patterns that I got for Christmas, and although the timing is not idea for a nice warm red wool cape (being due on April 1st, that is exactly what I'm going to make!

That's it for now.  Tune in next time for a Historical Fortnightly Challenge #2 update!

No comments:

Post a Comment