|Photographer-fiancee is still in training...|
I'll remind him to back up next time ;)
As was bound to happen eventually, my mother's sewing machine finally bit the bullet. She doesn't sew a lot any more, so she decided to replace it with one of the super-cheap Walmart sewing machines. I didn't discover this until I couldn't find the sewing machine in the basement because I was looking for the wrong one. Now, the new machine does in fact sew, and even has a few different stitch options. However, I did notice some things were lacking, primarily the foot pressure and the feed dogs (that move your fabric through the machine). This resulted in uneven stitches that tended to jump around at little bit. I also noticed some skipped stitches.
Now, to be fair, this was fabric I had gotten at Walmart to test out. The fabric itself worked fairly well for this project though. It was really more of a canvas-type fabric, which helped give the skirt a lot of body I think. However, it frayed terribly, so I do need to go back and add bias binding to the waist seam. The waistline also seemed to have warped quite a bit between when I cut it out and when I unpacked it at my mother's to finish sewing. I had probably an extra 4-6 inches, so I added some gathers while attaching it to the waistband, which I think turned out nice enough.
I used a pattern generously posted here by Casey of Elegant Musings. The pattern is from a 1954 Smart Sewing booklet. Instead of the traditional circle, the waist line of the skirt is a little bit more of an oval, which makes the skirt hang a little bit differently. It is still just as quick to sew up though.
Now I just need to make a day wear petticoat to go under it. The one I have is shortened from my step-mother's wedding dress, so is a little full to wear from day to day!