Friday 25 October 2013

A Coat Thing

Perhaps the weather turning cold has gotten to me (You can't prove I saw snow this morning.  I'll never admit it!  You can't make me!!), or perhaps its just that time of year, but I've been very fascinated by coat patterns of late.

I've picked two of my favorites.  Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be sewing any coats this season... its a little too late, and I'm not certain coats are the most pressing thing in my new wardrobe quest.  I'm not sure that this means I won't end up with a coat pattern or two in my stash though...

Coat Number 1:

Butterick 5824 by Gertie

I like Gertie.  She's not only profound in the vintage sewing scene, she's also hugely inspirational.  She's doing pretty close to what I want to be doing, sewing for a living.  (For me right now, that's still a pretty far off dream, but that's really not what we're looking at).

I also really like this coat.  The length is something you don't see as often any more.  It's nipped in a little at the waist and then flares out into a glorious swing skirt.  It's got a wide collar that I'm pretty sure could be snuggled into, though it does look like a scarf will be required, given the low V-neck.

My only hesitation, is the kimono sleeves.  They look good on the model, with her arms down.  But the review over at Edelweiss Patterns has a number of pictures that show some extra fabric there.  Which, is totally to be expected with kimono sleeves, but probably won't enhance my already-large bust.

The Options:  Attempt to draft a gusset.  Possible,  scary, and would definitely take a couple muslins before I could do it in any nice coating fabric.  Option Two:  Make it as a lighter Spring / Fall coat.  With a lighter fabric the bunching fabric will be less obvious.  Option Three:  Look for similar coats.  This is sad, because I'd really like to make Gertie's coat, however if I don't think it'll look good on me, it seems kind of like a waste.

And, since this has gone on for longer than expected, stay tuned next time for: Coat Number 2: The Cape!

No comments:

Post a Comment